Tuesday 12 May 2009

2. The first 100 Double or Nothings and making +EV changes

Evening,



Having done a two-hour economics exam this morning, I'm looking forward to 6 days off before my next exam. So, this afternoon, I decided to do a 2-hour poker session, which is a long time by my standards. Most of the time, I play for 30-40 mins three tabling $2.20 double or nothings on Hollywood Poker. It's usually a v quick session and then escape with some profit (hopefully!). I think that I need to get to used to playing longer sessions as that's obviously what I'm going to have to do if I'm going to stand a chance of building up my bankroll to anything of note over the summer.



I've only done a handful of 2-hour sessions before in the past and my record, whilst satisfactory, has been noticeably worse than my mini-sessions. I think it's a combination of not focusing 100% on the games I'm currently playing and perhaps, dare I say it, a lack of stamina. I'm used to concentrating when writing essays, but my mind can wander a bit if I'm being honest. Nevertheless my stamina could be improved and until it would be a +EV move for my poker to improve my fitness. For some reason completely unknown to me, my Dad has managed to persuade me to run a 10km race in June and I've got a lot of training to do before the race - currently I've only done a handful of 3km runs. It's interesting to note that when I play poker a few hours after going for a run, my results are pretty much always good.



Another +EV change I need to make is to move my laptop so that it's placed in a way which doesn't give me a neck ache. I'm sure anyone who uses a computer at work will no what I'm talking about, but it's surprisingly difficult to find the balance between having the laptop high enough so that it doesn't give you a neck ache but also not having it too high so that your arms ache. Today I thought 'I must get some books off the shelf to put my laptop on', but I forgot and started playing - only to realise within a few minutes that I had forgot to solve the issue of my neckache!



Something that I'll have to work out over the summer as I put in more of these longer sessions is how exactly I should go about them. Do I play 1 hour straight or even 2 hours straight with only a toilet break in between my sets of 3 DoNs? Or do I opt for playing for half an hour, then taking a break? I guess I'll have to try each out and see what's the positive +EV move.



I haven't really noticed any variation in my performance based on what time of the day I'm playing, but I think the best times must be when the house is quiet and there's no people running around me - that changes from day to day, but I'm seriously considering having some early morning/late night sessions so that I won't be distracted by the outside world! There's also something I find very pleasant about dawn especially in summer. It's light, the day has started but everyone is asleep and there's peace and quiet. The only downside with that is ensuring that I've actually properly woken up if I opt for a 4am start.



So, I think there's a lot of little changes aside from strategy that I can and should make over the summer in order to increase my profits per hour.



Anyway, I've reached a significant landmark with regards to my Double Or Nothing Career. I've played 100 games now and here's how I did in the first 100 at $2.20 level.



Double 64

Nothing 36



Total Profit $36 at $2.20/hour

Whilst it's not much of a profit, I'm pretty pleased that I win 64% of games.

No comments:

Post a Comment